Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A child has died in the time it took to load this page.

So today was the first day I went to collect donations for the 40 hours of famine thing that my cell is doing. When you are the one that is collecting the donations, it really makes you wonder what is so hard about giving money to the less fortunate. On the other hand, sadly I can imagine myself thinking the total opposite if someone approaches me like that. I have never really felt how it feels when you are collecting donations for a good cause and people make jokes and all (I have probably never taken anything of this sort seriously till now), not that I find it insulting.

I think it has to do with just our culture, we are hardly ever taught to give a thought to people on other continents who are needy (not saying that there are no needy people in our country), we just think that they are too far away and it is none of our business. We are all the same species, we all have the same basic biology, we are all humans. It is really sad to think that there are people in the world who go to bed hungry every night and when it is not their fault that they are in such an unfortunate position. Stories i feel most impacted by are parents who have to choose which of their children would eat today and which ones would eat tomorrow. Imagine your parents telling you that you cannot eat today and that it is your turn tomorrow. That would suck right?

So my cell group will give up furniture this weekend. Unfortunately I can't join them as I would be in Sydney. I would probably do it when I come back next week and when I am totally not sick anymore.


No comments: